The Cluster of Excellence »Matters of Activity« (MoA) and the Max Planck Institute of Colloids and Interfaces (MPI-CI) invite applications from doctoral researchers for a one-week intensive workshop on Matter to be held from 06.02.2023 bis 10.02.2023.
In the intensive workshop we will engage in an interdisciplinary discourse and practice diving deeply into the challenge of how to learn and appropriate each other’s scientific language for more productive research collaborations. We will begin to investigate the following questions:
- How can methods from design be learned and applied by doctoral researchers of materials science and cultural science?
- How can methods from materials science be learned and applied by doctoral researchers of design and cultural science?
- How can methods from cultural science be learned and applied by doctoral researchers of materials science and design?
The novelty of the approach lies in the equivalent focus on methods for design, materials science and cultural science as well as in the concentration on »matter« as a subject matter of the discourse. We will discuss approaches to research from the states of creation, cognition and perception and thus aim at moving beyond established disciplinary identities. In this context, participants will be introduced to the basic methodological frameworks of all three disciplines involved and select one of the three tracks: creation (design—materials science), cognition (materials science—cultural science) or perception (design—cultural science). Brief exercises will support the adaptation of the new methodologies which will be discussed on a daily basis. Smaller collaborative projects based on the Cluster’s key research areas are encouraged in the second half of the workshop.
Bredekamp, H. (2015). Der Bildakt, Wagenbach.
Eder, M., et al. (2021). "Wood and the activity of dead tissue." Advanced Materials 33(28): 2001412.
Hensel, M. and A. Menges (2006). Morpho-ecologies: Towards Heterogeneous Space in Architectural Design. London, Architectural Association Publications.
Reis, P. M., et al. (2015). "Designer matter: a perspective." Extreme Mechanics Letters 5: 25-29.
ZEITRAUM: 06.02.2023 bis 10.02.2023, 9-17 Uhr
- Beginn der Promotion, voraussichtliches Ende der Promotion, Betreuende der Promotion (bzw. Thema und Betreuende der Masterarbeit)
- Kurzer Lebenslauf
- Motivationsschreiben (maximal 1 Seite)
- Optionale Arbeitsproben (Portfolio, Publikationen, etc.)
Die Bewerbung bitte per E-Mail an: firstname.lastname@example.org
Die Veranstaltung wurde 3 mal im Vorlesungsverzeichnis WiSe 2022/23 gefunden: